An electric car is a type of car that is propelled by using energy that has been stored in its rechargeable batteries. The reason why people may prefer electric cars is that they are quieter than combustion engine vehicles and emit little exhaust because they do not run on engines. The world’s best-selling electric car as of 2018 was the Tesla Model 3. It has a maximum range of 570 km that is 353 miles. The Tesla Model 3 became the world’s all-time best-selling electric vehicle.
Get Car daily gist, Car pricing story, Celebrity Car update on Your WhatsApp Join Now
How do electric cars move?
Instead of the usual engine combustion in most cars, electric cars are equipped with electric batteries. There is a large traction battery pack that the vehicles used to move. It powers the vehicles and the vehicle must be plugged into a wall outlet or charging equipment that is called Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE). The vehicle does not emit any gas because it runs on a battery. Also, it does not have the usual liquid fuel components like the fuel pump, fuel line, or fuel tank.
Most electric vehicles are more expensive than the normal internal engine combustion vehicles. The efficiency and driving range of electric cars may vary based on driving conditions. When the weather is cold, it reduces the range because more energy is used to cool the car and when it is hot, it is much faster. Also, the range is reduced when the electric car is driven at high speed such as a free highway because it requires more energy but if it is driven on roads, there will surely be frequent stops and this preserves the battery life.
CHANGE YOUR CAR LOOK WITH TOP TRENDING CAR FANCY AND ACCESSORIES, VISIT > WWW.CARFANZY.COM
Hyundai IONIQ Electric – Cheapest electric car to run
There are many reasons why most drivers would be happy to switch from a normal engine combustion car to an electric car. Electric cars have zero-emission and lower maintenance costs because it is moving few body parts. Also, you do not have to be visiting the petrol station every day to get a refill. However, this does not mean that there is no cost to running an electric car. Paying for electricity is still a major cost factor but some drivers prefer coupling their electric cars with solar systems to get free power from the sun so as to lower costs.
The top spot for the cheapest electric car to run has to be the Hyundai IONIQ Electric. The Hyundai IONIQ Electric has a range of 155 miles on a fully charged 40.4 kWh. It is also the most efficient vehicle so it is the cheapest to drive. The Hyundai IONIQ’s battery produces 134 horsepower and sends power to the front wheels through a direct drive transmission. During its performance testing, it ran from 0 mph to 60 mph in just 8.3 seconds.
Parts of its interior are built was eco-friendly materials such as sugar cane and volcanic rocks. The maintenance is quite good because Hyundai offers one of the best warranties. The car has a lifetime battery warranty for the original owner. The limited warranty covers 5 years or 60,000 miles, Powertrain warranty covers 10 years or 100,000 miles, and hybrid components are covered for 10 years or 100,000 miles. This electric car is a good choice for drivers who are after decency in driving range combined with low running costs.
Prices of Hyundai IONIQ Electric in Nigeria
|Brand new Hyundai IONIQ Electric||N15.5 Million|
|Nigerian used Hyundai IONIQ Electric||N2.3 – N3.8 Million|
|Foreign used Hyundai IONIQ Electric||N10.3 Million|
Advantages of having an electric car in Nigeria
Electric cars have a lot of benefits to offer. The advantages of having an electric car in Nigeria include;
- Electric cars are generally energy efficient: They do not require much maintenance as the traditional gas-powered cars. The batteries in electric cars are far more efficient and can convert 59 to 62 per cent of energy into vehicle movement while the gas-powered converts only 17 to 21 per cent of energy. This means that it would be good to use in Nigeria since the cost of fuel is now getting more expensive than the cost of light.
- Electric cars reduce emissions: Reduced usage of fuel is another way electric cars have helped its owners in Nigeria because they only rely on rechargeable batters to run their cars.
- Electric cars have high performance and low maintenance: The performance of an electric car is amazing. It is not only quiet and smooth but also requires less maintenance because there are no engines to be checking for faults every day. Instead it is just to recharge the batteries.
Disadvantages of having an electric car in Nigeria
Electric cars also come with their disadvantages especially in a country like Nigeria.The disadvantages of having an electric car in Nigeria include;
- Electric cars take long to charge: Unlike the engine vehicles which just require going to the petrol station to refill, the electric cars have to wait for a longer time to get the battery full. It sometimes takes 30 minutes to 8 hours depending on the battery type and can be really frustrating.
- Electric cars get expensive when the battery needs to be replaced: In as much as the battery cars are less maintenance, the problem of having to change the battery when it is faulty makes it a disadvantage to its Nigerian owner because of the stress of replacing it.
Electric cars buying guide in Nigeria
Here is a list of things to know before getting any electric car in Nigeria;
- The battery is the most important and expensive part: Before getting any new or used electric car, always check for the durability of the battery. While it costs less to maintain electric cars, the battery is still one thing that requires utmost attention.
- Electricity bill: Electricity in Nigeria is on the increase. You should consider how much it would take to recharge your electric car based on electricity price.
- Some electric cars are cheap: The price of Renault’s Zoe is about N6.2 million and the price of Tesla is about N36 million. Therefore, if you can afford an engine car of over N40 million, it would be better to just go for an electric car that is more efficient.
- Weather conditions: Cold weather slows down the effectiveness of the electric cars. So in Harmattan season, it may be hard to get your car to drive fast.
BUY AND SELL CARS NOW FOR FREE - visit www.carmart.ng Get started