It is no gain saying that the rate and severity of road traffic crashes in Nigeria and Lagos State has adverse effects on the economy of the State. The attendant loss of lives properties and man-hours coupled with its socio-psychological effects deserve immediate attention from the Government.
Noting that 75% of road traffic crashes that result from human errors could be attributed to the driver, the Lagos State Government is aware that many drivers did not pass through any formal training in the Technology of driving and as a result, lack of adequate knowledge of road traffic rules and regulations as well as simple requirements for vehicle maintenance, set up the Lagos State Drivers’ Institute and equipped its five centres with driving simulators and audio-visual aids, to amongst other things.
The Lagos State Drivers’ Institute was established through Law N0 13 published in the Lagos State official Gazette of July 2007. It was established to correct mistakes of the past whereby drivers drive on the highway without adequate training. This has led to road traffic accidents, wastage of man hours and its attendant pressure on health facilities.
- Training, retraining and recertification of all professional drivers in the State.
- Standardizing the driving profession in the State.
- Registering and creating a database for professional drivers in the State.
- Standardizing, registration and accreditation of private driving schools in the State
- Assisting private driving schools in curriculum development and Instructors’ training.
- Provide courses of instruction, and training, and set standards for driving schools in the state in collaboration with the Ministry of Transportation.
- Ensure that all professional drivers in the employment of both Government and private organizations attend the Institute for training and re-training at least once every year towards updating their skills.
- Issue certificate of competence to drivers who have successfully completed training in the institute.
- Provide facilities to assist registered driving schools in the state.
- Compile and maintain a database of all professional drivers in Lagos state.
- Train professional drivers in driving skills
- Train professional drivers in road traffic rules and regulations
- Improve driving techniques of all categories of drivers
- Organize conferences, seminars, workshops and educational programs for professional and non-professional drivers from time to time.
BENEFITS OF SETTING UP LASDRI
- Professionalizing the activities of diversion the State
- Improved driving culture
- Reduced Road Traffic Accidents/Crashes
- Reduced Road rage
- Improved Environmental conditions
- Improved health condition and decrease in associated hospital bills
- Increase in foreign exchange through reduced capital flight
- Improved economic growth
STRUCTURE OF LASDRI
In order to effectively carry out its assigned responsibilities, the Institute is structured in 10 Departments and 5 Centres. The Departments are as follows;
- Administration and Human Resources
- Corporate Affairs
- Information Communication Technology
- Research and Statistics
- Public Affairs
- Eye Unit
The Centres entail the following;
- Ikorodu (Lagos State Ministry of Transportation yard, Odogunyan, Ikorodu)
- Badagry (Oko Afo, Badagry Expressway, Badagry)
- Ikeja (LSTC yard, Ilupeju-Oshodi)
- Lagos Island (Oja Oba Market, beside Old Party Secretariat, Lagos Island)
- Epe (Lagos State Ministry of Transportation yard, Epe-Ikorodu road, Epe)
Objectives Of The Lasdri
- Provide courses of instruction, and training and set standards for driving schools in the state in collaboration with the Ministry of Transportation;
- Ensure that all professional drivers in the employment of both government and private organizations attend the Institute for re-training and re-certification at least once every year towards updating their skills;
- Issue certificates of competence to drivers who have successfully completed training in the Institute;
- Provide facilities to assist registered driving schools in the State;
- Compile and maintain data register of professional drivers in the State;
Functions Of The Institute
- a) Train professional drivers in driving skills
- b) Train professional drivers in road traffic rules and regulations
- c) Educate trainees in the proper use of the highway codes;
- d) Improve driving techniques of all categories of drivers;
- e) Organize conferences, seminars, workshops and educational programmes for professional drivers from time to time;
- f) Ensure that all professional drivers are certified medically and mentally fit by the authorized medical authority
- g) Provide prospective employers with the driving history of professional drivers
- h) Certification of existing driving schools
- The Institute offers consultancy services in the following areas;
- Driver Selection
- Driver Analysis
- Driver Instructor Training
- Training of feet operators and managers formulation of road safety
Courses Offered At The Institute
- Mandatory professional drivers course
- Advanced professional driver training course
- Executive drivers training course
- School Bus Driver program
- Dangerous goods Driver training program
- Waste truck/tractor driver program
- Rehabilitation course (Traffic Offenders)
- Truck and Articulated Driver program
- High capacity passenger
- Towing driver training program
- Security driver training program
- Emergency drivers training program
- Driver Instructor program
Who needs Lasdri (Lagos State Drivers’ Institute)?
The Lagos state has demanded for drivers of commercial vehicles and private companies to be certified by the Lagos State Driver’s Institute (LASDRI).
How much does Lasdri cost?
Interested drivers are required to pay a non-refundable fee of N17,000 to cover verification of LASDRI and LASRAA ID, Medical history and security check, NIN and driver’s licence verification.
What you know before making an Online renewal
- Only existing Lasdri Card can be renewed online
- You will be expected to make your Renewal Payment online here
- After successful payment, you will be required to do a RE-TRAINING online and pass the ONLINE EXAM
- Once you pass the ONLINE EXAM, you will be issued a TEMPORARY RE-CERTIFICATION certificate.
- You will be required to appear physically at LASDRI-HQ to collect the RE-CERTIFICATION CARD
Steps to renew Driver Certification
- – Click on the Start Renewal button, then click on LASDRI CARD RENEWAL
- – Enter your card number and Click Submit
- – Update your details on the details displayed and click on Renew Re-Certification Card button
- – After you have read through the instruction, click on Click to continue to the Payment button
- – Follow the on-screen process to make your payment with your Debit Card (ATM Card)
- – Once your payment is successful and your payment receipt is received, go back to the window where you started your payment form and click on the green button Click to continue to Card Renewal, this will verify your payment.
If you made your payment and payment receipt received, follow the steps below to continue
- – Click on the HOME menu
- – From the home page, click on the Continue Renewal button or click on Continue Renewal Application at the top left corner of the home page
- – From the window displayed, enter your Asses Reference Number on your REVENUE RECEIPT and click Submit
- – Follow the onscreen information to navigate through your training and test to complete your online renewal
Yearly Certification for Lagos Drivers Compulsory
The Chief Executive (LASDRI), Mr Phillip Ogunlade on Radio Lagos 107.5Fm programme, “A Wa Ye” reiterated that the state law makes it mandatory for all professional drivers in Lagos to be trained and recertified once every year (for a fixed registration fee of N2,000 payable to designated banks), adding that a potential trainee is expected to be 18 years and above and must have a valid driver’s licence.
The Lagos State Drivers’ Institute was established through Law N0 13 published in Lagos State official Gazette of July 2007.
It was established to correct mistakes of the past whereby drivers drive on the highway without adequate training. This has led to road traffic accidents, wastage of man hours and its attendant pressure on health facilities. The Lagos State Government decided to retrain and recertify professional drivers and this is compulsory. The Institute will also conduct vision test and make appropriate recommendation
Save Money Buying Any Car, Use Free Car Price Checker NOW
Car Price Checker