Simi is an award-winning Nigerian female music artist with years of experience under her belt. She has a soft voice and a pretty face that keeps her in your mind long after you’ve finished listening to her song. Today’s article is all about Simi, enjoy!
Get Car daily gist, Car pricing story, Celebrity Car update on Your WhatsApp Join Now
|Real name||Simisola Kosoko|
|Date of birth||19 April 1988|
|Country of Origin||Federal Republic of Nigeria|
|Source of Wealth||Music, Singing, Songwriting, Endorsements|
Simi was born Simisola Bolatito Ogunleye, on 19th April 1988 in Ojuelegba, Surulere, Lagos State in the south western part of Nigeria. As the last child, in a family of four children- all boys- Simi grew up as a tomboy. Sadly, her parents separated when she was only nine years old.
After her primary and secondary school education which she obtained gallantly in Nigeria, Simi proceeded to Covenant University in Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communication.
PLEASE Follow us on Google news> Follow Now
Simi always had a flair for music. She grew up in her church’s children’s choir where she sang and danced. She even has a record of writing her first music at the age of 10.
Simi began her professional music career as a gospel artist, but years later she opted for secular songs. Her professional musical career started in 2008 following the release of her first debut studio album titled “Ogaju” in 2008 which contained songs like “Iya Temi” and “Ara Ile” with the entire musical production from Samklef.
After the release of her single “Restless” in January 2014, Simi’s musical career came into the spotlight. It earned her a record deal with X3M Music. On 9th January 2014, Simi released two singles titled “Tiff” and “E No Go Funny” with the songs receiving massive airplay and acceptance generally among music critics. ‘Tiff’ got her nominated in two categories at The Headies Awards in 2015. Simi has also made covers to songs of international artists the likes of Rihanna’s ‘Man down’ and Adele’s ‘Set fire to the rain’.
Simi didn’t rest on her oars after her breakthrough in 2015. This time around, In 2016, she released her second studio album containing the hit single “Jamb Question” which later featured Falz in the remix. Simi was listed as one of the artists to watch out for in 2016 by NotJustOk. On 27th October 2016, Simi collaborated with Falz to release the hit song “Chemistry” a project which was described by Oghene Michael of 360Nobs as an “experiment of the word art”.
Her third studio album ‘Simisola’ was released on 8th September, 2017, with two hit singles “Smile for Me” and “Joromi” which gathered positive reviews from fans and critics, and went on to debut at number five on the Billboard World Albums chart.
In March 2019, Simi announced that she would be releasing her third studio album Omo Charlie Champagne, Vol. 1 to coincide with her birthday on April 19, 2019. The song was dedicated to her late dad Charles Oladele Ogunleye, who died in 2014. The 13-track album features guest vocals from Patoranking, Maleek Berry, Falz, and her husband Adekunle Gold.
Simi left X3M Music in May 2019 following the expiration of her contract. She had plans to launch her own music label, named Studio Brat, which she successfully launched in June 2019. In 2020, Simi released ‘Duduke‘, a track which she made for her unborn baby with love. Now, ‘Duduke’ has become a household song for every awaiting Nigerian mother and dating couple alike. Simi also acted at some point in her life. She made her acting debut in Kunle Afolayan’s directorial Mokalik
Simi Music Style
Simi is a creative music artist. Her music style is basically a blend of the rhythm and blues, soul and hip-hop genre of music.
Selected Singles Of Simi
Her selected singles include;
- ‘Ara Ile’ in the album Ogaju – 2008
- ‘Emi L’Onijo’ Non-album single- 2012
- ‘Take a Chance’ Non-album single – 2012
- ‘Chocolate Brown’ Non-album single – 2012
- ‘Don’t Judge Me’ (cover) – 2013
- ‘Bibanke’ (cover) – 2013
- ‘Marvin’s Room’ (cover) – 2013
- ‘Tiff’ Simisola – 2014
- ‘E No Go Funny’ Non-album single – 2014
- ‘Jamb Question’ Simisola – 2015
- Jamb Question Remix (featuring Falz) Non-album single – 2015
- ‘Open and Close’ – 2015
- ‘Love Don’t Care’ Simisola – 2016
- ‘Smile for Me’ – 2017
- ‘Joromi’ – 2017
- ‘I Dun Care’ Omo Charlie Champagne, Vol. 1 – 2018
- ‘Lovin’ Omo Charlie Champagne, Vol. 1 – 2019
- ‘Ayo’ Charlie Champagne, Vol. 1 – 2019
- Duduke- 2020
- Simi ft. Ebenezer Obey – Aimasiko (Remix) – 2021
Simi Studio albums
Some of her studio albums include;
- Ogaju – 2008
- Simisola – 2017
- Omo Charlie Champagne, Vol. 1 – 2019
Quotes By Simi
- “We’re distracted so easily. You go wherever the wind blows. We know we have problems but we get carried away by the things that will add zero value to our lives. Who will value you if you refuse to persistently fight for it.”
- “African culture, black people culture is so beautiful. We have the most fun, share the magic with the sun, make amazing music (all these incredible genres), have the biggest laughs, have weird parents that love us – we’re not perfect at all, but we’re so…”
- “You’re not paying attention to the details in your life cos you’re being obsessed with social media. And it’s really not even worth it cos twitter’s not the same anymore. Everything’s different. So put ya phone down and mind the business that actually pays you.”
- “Life is short. Enjoy your life. Don’t spend half of it worrying about what you don’t have, so you won’t have to spend the other half regretting not enjoying what you have.”
- “We’re the problem, we’re also the solution. We have highly underestimated the power and impact of a good image and it’s catching up to us. Plus, the change is not just the government, it’s all of us. We’re getting left behind.”
- “I know men go through sexual assault too! I acknowledge it, but women and children are more vulnerable. Let’s fight for and protect the most vulnerable in society.”
Simi Award Nominations
- Nominated at the Nigerian Music Video Awards for the Best RnB Video in 2015.
- Nominated at the Nigerian Music Video Awards for the Best Soft Rock/Alternative Video in 2015.
- Tiff was nominated as the Best Alternative Song at the Headies 2015
- Best Vocal Performance (Female) nominee at the Headies 2015.
- MTV African Music Awards nominated her for the Best Breakthrough Act in 2016.
- Nominated Love Don’t Care for the ‘Best Recording of the Year’ at the Headies 2016.
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards nominated her as the Best Afro-pop Female Artist in 2016.
- Nominated Chemistry (with Falz) for the ‘Best Album’ at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards in 2016.
- Best R&B Single nominee at the Headies 2016.
- Best Female MVP nominee at the Soundcity MVP Awards Festival in 2017.
- Nominated for Best Pop at the Soundcity MVP Awards Festival in 2017.
- Simisola was nominated for the ‘Best R&B/Pop album’ at the Headies 2018.
- Best Vocal Performance (Female) nominee at the Headies 2018.
- Nominated as the Artiste of the Year at the Headies 2018.
Awards and Recognitions of Simi
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards honoured her as the Most Promising Act to Watch in 2015.
- City People Entertainment Awards honoured her as the Most Promising Act of the Year in 2015.
- Female Artiste of the Year at the City People Entertainment Awards in 2016.
- Choice Upcoming Female Artist at the Nigerian Teen Choice Awards in 2016.
- Best Collaboration at the Headies for (Soldier with Falz) in 2017.
- Love Don’t Care won the Best Vocal Performance (Female) in 2017.
- Best Collabo of the Year at the City People Entertainment Awards in 2017.
- Songwriter of the Year at the AFRIMA Awards in 2017.
- Best Recording of the Year at the Headies 2018.
- Best R&B single at the Headies 2018.
Simi Relationship: Married Or Single
The pretty singer is lovingly married to her old friend who’s also a singer; Adekunle Gold. They successfully managed to keep their relationship status off the eyes of the media till they got married in a private setting on January 9th, 2019. Using her sound engineering skills, she is credited with mixing and mastering Adekunle Gold’s debut studio album Gold, which was released in July 2016.
The happy couple welcomed their first bay and daughter, Adejare Gold on 30th of May 2020
Simi Net Worth
Simi is currently one of the richest and most influential female artists in Nigeria with an estimated net worth of $1.500,000.
Simi has given much hard work and diligence to be the star musician she is now. However, together with her husband, they both live modest and conservative lives. In her garage are a Toyota Camry and a BMW believed to be used by her and her husband.
Besides these two simple cars, Simi has exotic cars to add more color and beautiful to her garage. Check them out!
Mercedes-Benz GLB Class
Wealth has a way of making you get the good things of life. This car, which is voice-activated, is still the most expensive car in their garage as of now. The intelligence and comfort of this car are almost unimaginable, affording you the option to tune its steering feel, drivetrain, and adaptive suspension however it may suit you. Under the hood, you will find either an advanced 2.0L inline-4 engine’s twin-scroll turbo generating an ample 221 hp as well 258 lb-ft of torque on tap from 1,800 rpm.
It is an automobile that exudes class as its name clearly shows.
2. Wrangler Jeep
A good advantage of owning a Wrangler Jeep is the luxury to enjoy solid ruggedness and off-road capability. This is one car you will likely find Simi and her husband in if you coincidentally find them at the beach, as this is one place the couple frequent. It has a towing capacity of 2000-3500 lbs with an advanced 2.0 L 4-cylinder, 3.0 L V6 diesel, 3.6 L V6 (260-285 hp) engine.
Prior to getting married, no public record is known of Simi owning a house. But, since she’s married, we can safely call her husband’s house hers. Simi’s husband has a luxurious millionaire mansion said to be in the Lekki area, Lagos. As expected, it has a swimming pool space and a studio section for recording his music.
Simi continues to be amongst the fastest rising music artists in Nigeria. We can only keep our fingers crossed as we expect more feats from her.
BUY AND SELL CARS NOW FOR FREE - visit www.carmart.ng Get started