Fuel scarcity refers to a situation where there is an insufficient supply of gasoline, diesel, or other types of fuel, leading to shortages and rationing. This can occur due to various reasons such as supply disruptions, supply chain issues, demand surges, price volatility, or government intervention. Fuel scarcity can lead to long lines at gas stations, higher prices, and a ripple effect on the economy and daily life, causing a reduction in productivity and increased transportation costs.
Table of Contents
Many Nigerians are now choosing cars with smaller engines and higher fuel efficiency in order to save money as the rising cost of fuel continues.
The recent increase in fuel prices has altered the dynamics, contrary to earlier times when fuel was inexpensive and widely available and people purchased vehicles with large engines that guzzle fuel.
Nowadays, buyers of both new and used cars favour small cars with effective engines. In this development, cars with 1.2 to 2.0-litre engines, particularly Japanese models, are the most common.
In the last two months, the price of petrol has increased from N169 to N600 per litre in some parts of the country, while diesel sells for between N800 and N1000 per litre.
Meanwhile, most owners of big cars interviewed by Vanguard at various fuel stations in Lagos said that fuelling these cars has become a huge burden, especially with the hard economy and scarcity.
Mr Okechukwu Okonkwo said, “Tell me, what sense does it make when you have to fuel an SUV with more than N20,000 and use it for just three days?
“Big cars provide satisfaction, comfort, and prestige, but when you consider the number of hours you have to spend at the filling station and the ones you spend in traffic, you would have no choice but to go for small cars that provide all of the comforts.”
A Mercedes Benz SUV, which used to cost N16,000 to fill the tank, now costs over N40,000, while a Toyota Highlander, which costs about N11,000 to fill the tank, takes more than N30,000.
Fuel scarcity in Nigeria is a recurring issue caused by various factors including:
- Inadequate supply due to problems at the refineries and pipeline vandalism
- Inefficient distribution system
- Corruption and hoarding
- Increase in demand
- Foreign exchange shortage
- Price regulation by the government. The scarcity of fuel has a significant impact on the economy and daily life, causing long lines at gas stations, increased transportation costs and decreased productivity. The government and private sector have made efforts to address the problem, but a lasting solution has yet to be implemented.
If you looking to get a small car with very good fuel efficiency, check below listed cars
Here is a list of cars with good fuel efficiency and a brief review of each:
- Toyota Prius – This hybrid car has been a leader in fuel efficiency for years, offering excellent fuel economy in a practical and reliable package.
- Honda Civic – The gasoline-powered Civic is known for its excellent fuel efficiency, thanks to its lightweight design, efficient engines, and aerodynamic body.
- Hyundai Ioniq – The Ioniq is a hybrid car that offers fuel-efficient driving with a smooth and quiet ride.
- Toyota Corolla – This compact car is known for its reliability and fuel efficiency, making it a popular choice for budget-conscious car buyers.
- Kia Niro – The Niro is a compact hybrid SUV that offers excellent fuel economy, with a stylish and well-equipped interior.
- Nissan Leaf – The Leaf is a fully electric car that offers low fuel costs, zero emissions, and a smooth, quiet ride.
- Chevrolet Bolt – The Bolt is another electric car that offers impressive range and fuel efficiency, with a spacious and well-equipped cabin.
- Ford Fusion – The Fusion is a midsize car that is available in hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions, offering fuel-efficient driving with a spacious and well-equipped interior.
- Volkswagen Golf – The Golf is a compact car that is known for its fun-to-drive handling and fuel-efficient engines, making it a popular choice for car buyers.
Why you should buy fuel efficiency cars
Here are some reasons why you might consider buying a fuel-efficient car:
- Lower fuel costs – Fuel-efficient cars consume less gasoline, which can lead to significant savings on fuel costs over time.
- Environmental benefits – Fuel-efficient cars emit fewer greenhouse gases and pollutants, making them a more eco-friendly choice.
- Improved reliability – Cars with efficient engines and transmissions are often more reliable, as they are designed to reduce wear and tear on the engine.
- Government incentives – In many countries, there are government incentives for buying fuel-efficient cars, such as tax credits or rebates.
- Longer range – Fuel-efficient cars often have a longer range, as they consume less gasoline and require fewer stops for refuelling.
- Better driving experience – Many fuel-efficient cars offer improved handling and acceleration, making them more fun to drive.
- Reduced dependence on oil – By driving a fuel-efficient car, you can reduce your dependence on oil and support the transition to cleaner, renewable sources of energy.
Save Money Buying Any Car, Use Free Car Price Checker NOW
Car Price Checker
For article removal please email [email protected], for inclusion please email [email protected], You got tips for us email [email protected]