Customs duty is a fee you pay for importing and exporting goods into a country. In Nigeria, the federal government taxes customs duties on almost all imports into the country. The import charges vary from 5% to 60%, with a 1% on goods imported.
Table of Contents
The standard custom duty charge is 7% port charge and 5% on Value Added Tax (VAT), making it a total of 12%.
Also check: Cost Of Customized Plate Number In Nigeria
So, if you are an exporter and importer, and you are thinking about how to check the customs clearance on your goods or vehicle imported into the country, I will definitely say you should read this article to the end to get some much-needed information.
For vehicles coming into Nigeria, many people experience harassment from road official because the custom charge on the car has not been paid or has not been paid in full. This is why it is very important to check the authenticity of custom duty on goods and products brought into Nigeria. After getting the customs duty paper on the good, you want to go ahead and check, because it is the next important step to carry out.
Many people before 2018 abhorred checking any customs information on goods because the process used to be very hectic, but the Nigeria Customs Service has opened some ways to make the process a lot easier.
How to check customs duty online in Nigeria
Unfortunately at the moment, you cannot check customs duty online in Nigeria. But in a bid to make life easier, the Nigeria Customs Service since 2018 provided other channels through which the verification and authentication of your customs duty documents can be done.
In Nigeria, the helpline phones of Nigeria Customs Representatives are always open 24/7, making it easier for the average Nigerian to get through in case of any issues. The helpline hot numbers are: 094621597, 094621598, and 014621599.
Nigeria Customs Contact Information
Nigeria Customs Service Headquarters
Abuja – FCT
Tel: 09 5234694
Fax: 09 5234694
Details needed to check the authenticity of Customs paper in Nigeria
- C-Number: the C-Number is used to record and store every detail of imported goods into the country. This number is unique to every imported good and it is impossible to have a duplicate c-number elsewhere.
The C-Number is found at the top right corner of the Single Goods Declaration form and it is this number that is entered into the database of the Nigeria Customs Service. This unique number is used for clearing and import duty payments.
- Name of co-signees
- Clearing the agency’s details
- Office of entry, etc.
Custom Duty Payment In Nigeria
- The importer shall continue to pay an administrative charge of 1% of the FOB value of all imports based on the exchange rate on the approved e-Form “M”.
- All imports shall continue to be assessed for duty at the C. I. F. value of the goods using the rate of exchange on the approved e-Form “M”.
- It shall be the duty of the importer’s bank through which the e-Form “M” was processed to collect the amount of import duty as assessed if it is a Designated Bank. However, for e-Form “M” transactions processed by a non-Designated Bank, payment of import duty shall be at any of the Designated Banks, while a copy of the duty payment receipt shall be made available to the processing bank by the importer.
- For transactions in respect of dutiable personal effects payment of duty can be made at any preferred Designated Bank.
- The Designated Bank will match the printed assessment notice with the electronically received assessment notice for the Single Goods Declaration (SGD). If the information tallies, the bank will receive payments and issue a signed Bank receipt.
- The designated bank shall send an e-confirmation message to NCS acknowledging receipt of duty and taxes in respect of the SGD.
- All payments shall continue to be electronically transferred daily by Designated Banks to the respective pool accounts with CBN. Failing this will mean necessary sanctions shall apply.
- Cost Of Clearing Honda Cars From Customs In Nigeria
- Cost Of Clearing Mercedes Benz Cars From Customs In Nigeria
- Cost Of Clearing Toyota Cars From Nigeria Custom
- The Top Luxury Brand- List Of Mercedes-Benz Prices In Nigeria
PLEASE Follow us on Instagram> Follow us Here @carmartNigeria