If you’re someone who enjoys going on wild and challenging adventures, an all-wheel-drive vehicle is a great choice. It helps you get around slippery surfaces and navigate through mud and snow with ease. All-wheel-drive cars use various technologies to ensure that the power gets to the ideal location. Some models come with advanced terrain selection, which changes how the vehicle performs depending on your settings.
Table of Contents
We’ve collected the best 10 all-wheel drive cars for 2022 shoppers based on data from CarMax.
These cars come with features and pros and cons.
2023 Toyota Corolla
The Toyota Corolla is designed to provide reliable transportation at a low price. The latest iteration only gets better with a more powerful engine option, new hybrid trim levels, and Toyota’s latest safety systems.
The Toyota Corolla is a 5-seater vehicle that comes in 6 trim levels. The most popular style is the Hybrid SE AWD, which starts at $27,695 and comes with a Hybrid 1.8L I4 engine and All Wheel Drive. This Corolla is estimated to deliver 50 MPG in the city and 43 MPG on the highway.
- Excellent fuel efficiency, including more hybrid models
- Enhanced standard safety features, and updated infotainment system
- Available all-wheel drive
- Limited cargo space
- Some competitors offer performance versions
Toyota is building on the Corolla’s reputation for reliability by enhancing other aspects of the popular sedan. It’s doubling down on hybrid technology, adding four new hybrid trims, including two with all-wheel drive. The Corolla’s hybrid system has been improved to provide a better performance, and the conventionally powered Corolla LE, the model’s most popular trim, gets a more powerful and efficient engine. Safety is upgraded with the new-generation Toyota Safety Sense 3.0.
The Toyota Highlander was updated for the 2020 model year. It features a hybrid drivetrain that can help you travel a long distance between fill-ups. The V6 engine in the 2020 and 2022 models can tow up to 5000 pounds.
The 2020–2022 Toyota Highlander has standard features, which include:
- A 3.5L V6 engine
- Tri-zone automatic climate control
- A suite of driver assists like adaptive cruise control
- Passengers will enjoy a quiet, comfortable ride
- Excellent visibility
- A powerful V6 engine for towing or hauling
- The third-row seats are small and best for kids
- Could use more space behind the third-row seats for luggage
The all-new Toyota Rav4 for 2019 is designed to give you an aggressive look and ready for adventure. The Adventure trim adds an off-road-ready suspension and an improved towing capacity of 3,500 pounds.
All of the 2019 Toyota Rav4s are powered by a 2.5L four-cylinder engine. Limited and Adventure models also feature all-wheel drive.
The 2019–2022 Toyota RAV4 L comes well equipped, including features like:
- A seven-inch touchscreen with Bluetooth connectivity
- A rearview camera with guidelines
- Steering-wheel-mounted cruise and audio controls
- Plenty of space for passengers and cargo
- A quiet, comfortable interior
- Easy-to-use controls
- The engine could use more power or other engine options
- The front passenger seat isn’t as comfortable as the rest
- Steering input isn’t as precise as some of the competition
Despite its compact size, the Honda CR-V is still a great choice for small families. The base model of the vehicle comes with a variety of features and options, such as a heated front seat, a power-adjustable driver seat, and dual-zone automatic climate control. The more powerful EX model adds features such as smartphone connectivity and a suite of driver assistance programs.
Starting the 2017–2020 Honda CR-V lineup out is the L trim, which includes:
- A seven-inch infotainment system and Bluetooth integration
- A multi-angle rearview camera
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- Lots of interior cabin space
- AWD is standard on any trim
- Quiet and comfortable ride
- The infotainment system could use an update
- Muted driving dynamics
- Real-world driving doesn’t match up to the EPA-estimated fuel economy
The Nissan Rogue is a versatile choice for city life, with three trim levels and a hybrid available. It’s also got some of the in-demand features that you’ll want, such as heated seats and a kick-activated power tailgate.
Some of the equipment included on the base-model 2017–2020 Nissan Rogue has:
- Automatic headlights
- A seven-inch infotainment system with smartphone connectivity
- Two USB charge ports
- Excellent cargo volume
- Easy to navigate urban life thanks to a small footprint
- Available driving aids and technology
- There could be more engine power, and it’s noisy during acceleration
- The ride quality is poor when equipped with the 19-inch alloys
- Front-seat comfort doesn’t stand up to long trips
The 2017 to 2020 Honda Pilot is a versatile family vehicle that can handle up to eight passengers and is ideal for transporting small travel trailers or boats. Its powerful V6 engine and modern interior make it an ideal choice for families. In addition, the Pilot can be equipped with leather upholstery in the Touring, EX-L, and Elite trim levels.
For the 2020 model year, the Sport Black trim adds a new feature. Finally, all-wheel drive is standard on the models.
Included in the 2017–2020 Honda Pilot LX base trim are:
- A multi-angle rearview camera
- Push-button start
- Five-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Bluetooth® integration
- A roomy interior that’s flexible for everyday life
- Smooth riding and straightforward to drive
- Practical storage compartments around the interior
- Collision warning and adaptive cruise control are a little too sensitive
- Access to third-row seating is narrow