The 2023 Toyota Corolla received a thorough refresh for the new model year, but not a full redesign. That means that the 2023 Toyota Corolla and 2022 Toyota Corolla models are more similar than they are different. Overall engine options and performance specs stay the same, as do cargo space and interior dimensions. Both models offer the Nightshade Special Edition exterior package on sedan and hatchback models.
Table of Contents
While this was just a refresh for the 2023 Corolla and the 2022 model, there are plenty of changes. One addition is an updated Toyota Safety Sense+ suite of safety and driver-assistance features. This new system makes the new Corolla an even better car for new drivers in 2022.
About 2023 Toyota corolla
At least 20% of car owners in Nigeria own a Toyota corolla based on our statistics. That may not be true but we sure know that the 2004 Toyota Corolla is one Nigerians love so much because of its low-cost maintenance and fuel economy. Well, the Japanese automobile company has remodelled this lovely car to suit the needs of the 2023 car owner. For the 2023 model, Toyota has created a GR-tuned version and there are many things to love about this vehicle.
2023 Toyota Corolla Exterior
For the exterior, aluminium is used for the hood and front door panels, with light and strong high-tensile steel in critical areas to ensure the car’s structure can safely absorb and dissipate impact forces. So you will worry less when a danfo driver bashes your car. Hood, fender and rear bumper ducts and a flat underfloor reduce drag, add downforce and improve stability.
The wide stance and broad hatch exterior design of GR Corolla projects a strong, attack-ready style with its black GR-badged functional matrix grill. The automobile has functional air ducts on both sides, the front grille on the Circuit Grade comes in gloss-black and features integrated LED fog lamps. Auto on/off LED headlamps and LED DRLs are standard on both grades.
Both grades feature wide front and rear fender flares. The Circuit Edition features a bulging hood with functional gloss-black air ducts. The Carbon Fibre roof on the Circuit Edition is matched with a matte-black roof-mounted shark-fin antenna. The Core Grade features an aluminium hood with a colour-keyed roof and matching shark-fin antenna. Gloss-black heated power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators, gloss-black window moulding and black GR Corolla badges are standard on both grades.
At the rear, both grades feature a rear lower bumper cover with functional air vents, for an extra touch these vents are gloss-black on the Circuit Edition. The tapering of the roof and rear pillars are complemented by a high-mounted matte-black rear spoiler on the Circuit and a gloss-black rear-lip spoiler on the Core Grade. The wide track and flaring of the rear wings emphasise the car’s wide and low silhouette.
2023 Toyota Corolla Interior
The design of the GR Corolla’s interior reflects the car’s performance, particularly around the driver’s cockpit. Incorporating the feedback of professional drivers, a GR Full TFT metre was recently developed with a 12.3-inch colour Multi-Information Display (MID) that has a GR metre with 4WD mode, turbo pressure, gear position indicator and tachometer. The brightly lit display is designed for easy viewing in any condition and even features a start-up GR animation.
The shift lever has a shortened stroke for a quick throw between gears. Positioned where the driver’s arm is naturally lowered from steering, the action is light with short shift strokes, adding to the performance quality. GR Corolla uses a pull-type mechanical parking brake.
The Circuit Edition’s interior is finished in black with red trim details around the door handles, centre console, steering wheel and side air vents, and the Core Grade is finished with black and silver details. Automatic climate control, power windows with one-touch auto up/down and heated front seats and steering wheel are standard on Circuit Edition. Heated front seats and steering wheel are available with the Cold Weather package option on Core Grade.
It has the Toyota new Audio Multimedia system which features an 8-inch touchscreen, the system offers an improved user experience and a wide range of enhanced connectivity and convenience features, including being Over-the-Air (OTA) updatable. Users can interact with the new system’s design through touch and voice activation. With Intelligent Assistant available through Drive Connect, simple phrases like “Hey Toyota” awakens the system for voice-activated commands to search for directions, find Points of Interest (POI), adjust audio controls, change the cabin temperatures and more.
2023 Toyota Corolla Specification
|Engine||1.6L 3-Cylinder Turbo|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||N/A|
2023 Toyota Corolla Release Date
The release date for the 2023 Toyota Corolla hasn’t been made public but it is expected that the car will be unveiled to the public before the end of the year.
2023 Toyota Corolla Price
Official prices aren’t out yet but it is estimated that the 2023 Toyota Core will cost about ₦ 14,000,000 and the Circuit Edition, ₦17,000,000, excluding duties fee
2023 Toyota Corolla Trims
We expect the 2023 model will have a similar lineup and we’ll update this section once we have complete information.] The Corolla is offered in five main trim levels: L, LE, XLE, SE and XSE, plus a couple of special trim levels. The SE Nightshade Edition and the Apex Edition are special versions that add a few extra features to the corresponding trim. Feature highlights include:
Starts you off with:
- 139-horsepower 1.8-litre four-cylinder engine
- Continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT)
- LED headlights
- 15-inch steel wheels
- 7-inch touchscreen
- Driver information display
- Two USB ports
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration
- Cloth seats
All Corollas also come with:
- Forward collision mitigation (warns you of an impending collision and applies the brakes in certain scenarios)
- Lane departure warning (alerts you if the vehicle begins to drift out of its lane)
- Adaptive cruise control (maintains a driver-set distance between the Corolla and the car in front)
Adds a few more features, with:
- 16-inch steel wheels
- Heated side mirrors
- Automatic climate control
- USB port for rear passengers
- 8-inch touchscreen
- Premium fabric seats
- Keyless entry
Gives the Corolla more premium features such as:
- Upgraded LED headlights and accent lighting
- 16-inch alloy wheels
- Proximity keyless entry with push-button start
- Blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert (warns you if a vehicle is in your blind spot during a lane change or while in reverse)
- Upgraded driver information display
- Heated front seats
- Power-adjustable driver’s seat
- Simulated leather upholstery
Reverts back to the LE’s features but is sportier thanks to:
- 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine (169 hp, 151 lb-ft)
- Normal and Sport driving modes
- Dynamic-shift continuously variable transmission (CVT)
- Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters (CVT only)
- Available six-speed manual transmission
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Sportier exterior trim accents
- Sport front seats
Has the SE’s features but with:
- Blackout exterior trim
- Unique 18-inch black-painted alloy wheels
Combines the SE and XLE’s feature upgrades
Adds sportier handling and styling to SE and XSE trims with:
- Upgraded suspension components
- Lower ride height
- Optional summer performance tires
- Black and bronze exterior trim
Some features that come standard on the higher trims can be ordered as options on the lower trims. A premium JBL sound system is optional on the XLE, SE and XSE trim, and adaptive headlights (swivel as you turn the steering wheel for better illumination in curves) are optional on the XLE and the XSE.
2023 Toyota Corolla Buying Guide
Overall, the 2023 Toyota Corolla is an excellent automobile with low fuel economy. Either of the trims will serve your automobile needs. However, if you seek performance, it is advised that you get the Core trim.
2023 Toyota Corolla Safety Features
The GR Corolla comes with a host of additional standard Connected Services. Safety Connect includes an Emergency Assistance Button (SOS), 24/7 Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Automatic Collision Notification, Stolen Vehicle Locator and Collision Assistance with a 1-year trial service. Service Connect offers drivers the capability of receiving Vehicle Health Reports, Maintenance Alerts and reminders with a 3-year trial.
About 2022 Toyota corolla
The 2022 Toyota Corolla is among the 12th generation of the Toyota Car models which means the automobile company has been doing well over the years.
For decades now, Corolla has been a compact car that has shown good value because of its good fuel economy and reputation for being reliable The 2022 model still keeps on with the tradition of the Corolla’s core values and only changes the styling to a flashier one and a more premium-feeling interior than the former year line-ups. The Corolla is available either as a hatchback or a hybrid sedan variant.
The 2021 model met the introduction of a new trim which is the Apex trim which added a few performance enhancements and cosmetic features. 2022 has no major change. Although, Corolla will surely be considered when purchasing a new car its other rivals such as Honda Civic, Mazda 3 and Kia Forte may also be considered.
2022 Toyota Corolla Trims And Standard Features
The 2022 Corolla comes in five trim levels which are the L, LE, XLE, SE and XSE along with special trim levels such as the SE Nightshade Edition and the Apex Edition. The L trim has features that include;
- Two USB ports.
- Driver information display.
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration.
- Cloth seats.
- 139-horsepower 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine.
- Continuously variable automatic transmission.
- LED headlights.
- 15-inch steel wheels.
- 7-inch touchscreen.
The XLE standard features include;
- Upgraded driver information display.
- Heated front seats.
- Power adjustable driver’s seat.
- Simulated leather upholstery.
- 16-inch alloy wheels.
- Upgraded LED headlights and accent lighting.
- Proximity keyless entry with push-button start.
- Blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert.
The SE has features of the LE but with a sportier look because of features such as;
- Steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters.
- 18-inch alloy wheels.
- Sport front seats.
- Sportier exterior trim accents.
- 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 169 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque.
- Normal and Sport driving modes.
- Dynamic shift continuously variable transmission.
- Available six-speed manual transmission.
The SE Nightshade has most of SE’s features but includes;
- Unique 18-inch black-painted alloy wheels.
- Blackout exterior trim.
The XSE combines both the SE and XLE features while the APEX Edition features sportier handling and styling than the SE and XSE trims features in addition to;
- Optional summer performance tires.
- Lower ride height.
- Black and bronze exterior trim.
- Upgraded suspension components.
2022 Toyota Corolla Interior
2022 Corolla’s interior is usually simple and easy to use. The controls are in the proper places and are logically grouped. The number of buttons is really okay with just enough that is useful but not too much that it becomes confusing. Getting in and out is easy. There is enough space in the front seats and the driver has clear sight of the front and rear. Seating for the rear passengers is quite tight, especially the headroom. Adults or taller passengers may find it difficult to sit comfortably in the car or move in and out of the car. The Honda Civic is much better in that aspect.
2022 Toyota Corolla Fuel Efficiency
The estimated fuel economy of the 2022 Toyota Corolla XSE that has the 2.0-litre engine is 34 mpg combined for city-run and highway-run driving. That is strong compared to other Corolla models. The less powerful engine which is the 1.8-litre engine has a fuel economy estimate of 33 mpg combined.
2022 Toyota Corolla Safety Features
The standard safety features of the 2022 Toyota Corolla are the same as the 2021 Toyota Corolla. They include;
- Pedestrian detection.
- Pre-collision system.
- Lane departure alert with steering assist.
- Automatic high-beams.
- Forward collision mitigation.
- Lane-keeping assist.
- Adaptive cruise control.
- Lane tracing assist.
- Road sign assist.
2022 Toyota Corolla Buying Guide In Nigeria
The following is the buying guide for the 2022 Toyota Corolla;
- Cost: The Toyota Corolla is not too costly. This means that it is affordable to an extent, depending on the trim level you want to purchase. If you cannot afford the most expensive trim, it would be advisable to go for the base trim.
- Trim Type: All trim types come with their specifications. Therefore, it is important to get to know them and know the one that would be suitable for daily use. The Toyota Corolla SE trim is best recommended but for a modest price version, the L and LE trim levels are not bad because they have more powerful engines, a longer list of standard features and greater flexibility for adding packages. So you have to pick the best choice based on your needs before purchasing any Toyota Corolla model.
- Interior Space: The rear seats of the 2022 Toyota Corolla are quite cramped. If you have larger families or taller adults, the vehicle may not be the best choice.
2022 Toyota Corolla Price In Nigeria
|Trims||Price in naira||Price in dollar|
|2022 Toyota Corolla L||₦10,725,000||$21,450|
|2022 Toyota Corolla LE||₦10,9500,00||$21,900|
|2022 Toyota Corolla SE||₦11,095,000||$22,190|
|2022 Toyota Corolla Nightshade||₦12,095,000||$24,190|
|2022 Toyota Corolla Hybrid LE||₦12,537,500||$25,075|
|2022 Toyota Corolla XSE||₦12,570,000||$25,140|
|2022 Toyota Corolla XLE||₦12,9250,00||$25,850|
|2022 Toyota Corolla APEX SE||₦13,297,500||$26,595|
Cargo Space and Interior Room
The Honda Civic sedan feels more spacious than the Corolla sedan, and the numbers back up our experiences. The Corolla hatchback benefits from a large cargo bay, but know that some compact hatchbacks offer more space.
- 2022 Toyota Corolla sedan: 13.1 cubic feet
- 2022 Toyota Corolla hybrid: 13.1 cubic feet
- 2022 Toyota Corolla hatchback: 17.8 cubic feet
- 2022 Honda Civic sedan: 14.8 cubic feet
Legroom (first/second rows):
- 2022 Toyota Corolla sedan: 42.0/34.8 inches
- 2022 Toyota Corolla hybrid: 42.0/34.8 inches
- 2022 Toyota Corolla hatchback: 42.0/29.9 inches
- 2022 Honda Civic sedan: 42.3/37.4 inches
What’s New for The 2022 Toyota Corolla
- Ruby Flare Pearl replaces Barcelona Red Metallic paint on the Corolla sedan
- Windchill Pearl replaces Blizzard Pearl paint on Corolla sedan
- Finish Line Red replaces Supersonic Red paint on the Corolla hatchback
- USB ports change from Type A to Type C on the Corolla hatchback
- Special Edition package discontinued on Corolla hatchback
- Premium Interior Package for Corolla Hybrid includes SofTex faux leather seats, heated front seats, a leather-trimmed steering wheel, and a power driver seat with lumbar support
2023 Toyota Corolla or 2022 Toyota Corolla which should buy
You can’t go wrong with either one of these cars, but you can’t deny that the new 2023 Corolla packs a good wallop.
It’s worth it to wait for the 2023 Corolla for the gas-powered L trim level for that extra boost of horsepower. In addition to that, it’s also worth the wait for any of the Corolla Hybrid models for the possibility of AWD and small upgrades to the hybrid system.
We estimate that the 2023 Corolla won’t be released until the fall or winter, like the 2023 Toyota Camry.
Another exciting powertrain change for the 2023 Corolla lineup is the addition of all-wheel drive on the new Corolla hybrid sedan. This is an option that is not available on the 2022 Toyota Corolla Hybrid.
Save Money Buying Any Car, Use Free Car Price Checker NOW
Car Price Checker
For article removal please email [email protected], for inclusion please email [email protected], You got tips for us email [email protected]